It has been reported that after the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented, states should expect to see more people using emergency departments.
News at JAMA has reported on this prediction, upon analyzing how Massachusetts saw a rise in emergency department visits once it enacted reform.
This is notable as three out of the top ten hospitals by ER Medicare payments were from the state of Massachusetts.
Definitive Healthcare tracks 3,591 hospitals with emergency room departments.
Here is a look at the top ten hospitals with the highest emergency room Medicare payments via Definitive Healthcare’s hospital database:
1. Florida Orlando Hospital (Florida) – $18,452,238
2. Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital (Texas) – $13,518,576
3. William Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak (Michigan) – $13,398,542
4. Baystate Medical Center (Massachusetts) – $12,687,198
5. Providence Hospital and Medical Center (Michigan) – $10,742,038
6. Massachusetts General Hospital (Massachusetts ) – $10,608,077
7. Cape Cod Hospital (Massachusetts ) – $10,284,774
8. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (California) – $10,279,865
9. Indiana University Health Methodist (Indiana) – $10,008,711
10. Christiana Hospital (Delaware) – $9,922,683
* Data via Medicare’s 2013 SAF (1/1/2013-12/31/2013) and Definitive Healthcare’s database of Revenue Center Inpatient Payments and Claims by Provider (Medicare-Only)