Nursing informatics is a nursing specialty that combines nursing science with multiple analytical and informational sciences. Its goal is to define, identify, manage, and communicate information, data, and knowledge within the nursing practice.
Nursing informatics deals with the technology and systems healthcare providers use to deliver patient care. With experience in nursing and information technology, a nursing informaticist provides valuable input on how systems should be designed from a provider standpoint.
Some of the job titles that fall under nursing informatics include:
- Nursing informaticist
- Nursing informatics clinician
- Nursing informatics specialist
- Chief nursing information office
- Clinical nurse informatics specialist
- Perioperative informatics nurse