A physician, also known as a medical practitioner or doctor, is a medical professional who studies, diagnoses, and treats various injuries, illnesses, and other ailments. They can work in various locations, including doctors’ offices, hospitals, clinics, and home care businesses.
Physicians often collaborate with other healthcare professionals in order to provide treatments and promote public health. A physician may work independently, as part of a practice, as a member of a hospital care team, or within a physician group.
Some of the tasks for which a physician is responsible include:
- creating treatment plans
- ordering tests and analyzing their results
- recording medical history
- referring patients to specialists
- performing basic medical procedures
- providing advice for improving patient health
- identifying symptoms and diagnosing patients
Physicians can also specialize in certain fields, such as: