Urgent care is a type of outpatient care that provides immediate treatment for chronic and acute injury and illness. Urgent care addresses conditions such as allergic reactions, sprains, wounds and fevers. Urgent care physicians work with primary care physicians and specialists in complex situations. Importantly, urgent care is not a substitute for primary care.
Urgent care clinics must have:
- Treatments for a broad range of injuries and illnesses
- Communication with hospitals in the area
- Diagnostic equipment onsite
- A procedure room and multiple exam rooms
- Extended hours
- Capacity for walk-in patients