Chronic Care Management (CCM)

What is chronic care management?

Chronic care management (CCM) provides a healthcare strategy for patients with two or more serious chronic conditions that are expected to last for at least 12 months. A CCM plan typically oversees medication management, care plans, referrals, and care transitions. A key component of chronic care management is care coordination between all providers interacting with the patient.

Healthcare providers such as physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assitants offer chronic care management services. The care is often not delivered in person.

Examples of chronic conditions that would make a patient eligible for chronic care management include, but are not limited to:

For many individuals, CCM may be covered under Medicare Part B, where the patient pays for 20% of costs, and Medicare covers the remaining 80%, not including copays. This Medicare coverage rate only applies to patients who receive care from Medicare-approved healthcare providers.

Why is chronic care management important to healthcare?

When an individual suffers from more than one chronic condition, there are often many providers, treatments, and medications involved. With a chronic care management plan, a patient’s healthcare providers can coordinate plans so that the patient receives the appropriate care for each condition.

Additionally, it is important for people with multiple chronic conditions to understand how different treatment and medication plans might influence one another. CCM provides clear guidance on these important factors.

In many cases, CCM also enables patients to receive 24/7 care if needed, ensuring access to healthcare and providing peace of mind for patients.