Top 10 largest imaging centers in the Northeast
Medical imaging plays a vital role in diagnosing and monitoring diseases, guiding treatment plans, and providing valuable insights for healthcare providers. Central to the provision of this technology are imaging centers. These centers specialize in capturing and interpreting medical images using various technologies like X-ray, ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and positron emission tomography (PET).
Below, we’ve compiled a list of the largest imaging centers in the Northeast ranked by percentage of total procedures in 2022.
Top imaging centers in the Northeast by percentage of procedures
|Rank||Imaging center name||City||State||Definitive ID||% of total procedures in the NE||Explore dataset|
|1||TridentCare (FKA Trident USA Health Services)||Sparks Glencoe||MD||833246||37.20%||Explore|
|2||TridentCare Health Services (FKA MobilexUSA Corporate)||Sparks Glencoe||MD||865309||11.50%||Explore|
|3||Shields Health Care Group||Quincy||MA||829039||11.30%||Explore|
|4||TridentCare - Brockton (FKA MobilexUSA Northeast)||Brockton||MA||1001767||8.70%||Explore|
|5||Shields MRI at UMass Memorial - University Campus||Worcester||MA||807875||2.80%||Explore|
|6||Baystate MRI & Imaging Center||Springfield||MA||822749||2.10%||Explore|
|7||UM Shore Regional Health Diagnostic and Imaging Center at Easton||Easton||MD||803754||1.70%||Explore|
|8||The Guthrie Breast Care Center at Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital||Sayre||PA||1039010||1.50%||Explore|
|9||Brigham and Womens Harbor Medical Associates - Imaging (AKA Physician Diagnostics)||Weymouth||MA||899428||1.40%||Explore|
|10||Shields MRI Weymouth||Weymouth||MA||802795||1.20%||Explore|
What are the top imaging centers in the Northeast?
As of May 2023, Definitive Healthcare tracks more than 18,000 imaging centers across the U.S. Among these, TridentCare in Sparks Glencoe, Maryland is the top imaging center in the Northeast based on total procedure volume, with 37.2% of total procedures in 2022. It’s followed by TridentCare Health Services, also in Sparks Glencoe, Maryland (11.5 %) and Shields Health Care Group in Quincy, Massachusetts (11.3%).
What is medical imaging?
Medical imaging refers to the use of various techniques and technologies to create visual representations of the inside of the human body for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. It allows healthcare professionals to obtain detailed images of the organs, tissues, bones, and other structures inside the body, helping to detect, diagnose, and monitor diseases.
What are common medical imaging techniques?
There are several common modalities used in medical imaging:
- X-ray: X-ray imaging uses low levels of radiation to create images of the body’s internal structures, such as bones and lungs. It is commonly used to detect fractures, tumors, and infections
- Computed tomography (CT): CT scans use a series of X-ray images taken from different angles to create cross-sectional images of the body. CT scans provide detailed information about bones, organs, and blood vessels, making them useful for diagnosing conditions like tumors, vascular diseases, and internal injuries.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): MRI uses a powerful magnetic field and radio waves to generate detailed images of the body’s organs and tissues. It’s particularly effective in visualizing soft tissues like the brain, spinal cord, and muscles.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to produce real-time images of the body’s structures. It is often used for monitoring pregnancy, examining organs like the heart and kidneys, and guiding minimally invasive procedures.
- Positron emission tomography (PET): PET scans involve injecting a small amount of radioactive material into the body, which is then detected by a scanner. It provides information about the metabolic activity of tissues and is used in cancer diagnosis, evaluating heart conditions, and studying brain function.
Healthcare Insights are developed with healthcare commercial intelligence from the Definitive Healthcare platform. Want even more insights? Start a free trial now and get access to the latest healthcare commercial intelligence on hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers.